Friday, July 4, 2008

DFW WOW Suzuki Institute!




This week has been monumental for me as a mom - I am taking my son to his first Suzuki Violin Institute! It is a week long camp for strings students, and I have many happy memories of attending Institutes myself. Some of the teachers are the same teachers that I had when I was a student. I wasn't sure if Aidan would like it, but I signed him up so that I could at least observe and pick up some teaching ideas. I am determined to not be one of those parents who pushes their kids to pursue the parent's interests, but I am pleased to say that Aidan is genuinely having a fantastic time! He told me last night, "Mom, I love this. We have to go every year!"
Aidan has four classes - art, a master class (which is pictured above - it's a small class where each student gets a short private lesson), a group class, and a music and movement class. The teachers are excellent! His group teacher had them singing the A major scale and doing ear training activities. Gresham came yesterday, and he loved music and movement. The kids got to play drums, shakers, etc., and then got to dance and march around the room.
We have two days left, with a concert on Sunday night. More pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment