Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Aidan and the Spirit of Gift-Giving

The progression of gift-giving as I have observed it in our house...

Age 1: Oblivious
Age 2: Oblivious
Age 3: I don't wanna give anyone a present, because then I might not get as many for myself!
Age 4: Gift ideas for others that I would like myself (i.e. wanting to give Mom a Lightning McQueen toy)
Age 5: No, I won't give you what you ask for, because I can think of something better...

We had this conversation in Target the other day.

Mom: Look, Aidan! You can get me one of these 25th Anniversary Cabbage Patch Kids for Christmas! I remember getting my first one in 1985.
Aidan: No...
Mom: Why not?
Aidan: Because you ask too much. You wanted one of these the last time we were in Target.
(There was a Target employee a couple aisles away who was snickering...)
Aidan: I'll get you this set instead, it's a lot cooler (points to a fisher price set with two silly looking dolls and a baby stroller).
Mom: I don't want that. I don't need the toys. I just like the other one because it's like one I had when I was little.
Aidan: Nope, I'll get you this one.

Wait 'til he sees what I'm gonna get him...

1 comment: