Thursday, September 4, 2008

Math Time!


We are liking school so far! Aidan has done really well. Dad did school with him while I was gone teaching school this week, so that was a big help. It's hard to come home from teaching strings for 3 hours straight and then start homeschooling!
Yesterday, Aidan and I made a pictograph for his math. We made a graph of how many pairs of shoes each family member owns. Aidan had a great time taking his clipboard around the house and counting shoes. I am thrilled to announce that Dad won on the most number of pairs! He only beat me by one, though. He had 10 pairs and I had 9. We counted everything - even flip flops and yard shoes.
We are doing Saxon math, and I like it so far. Aidan likes the routine of Saxon - he adds to a calendar and a number line every day, and Saxon has a lot of review. We also discovered Explode the Code phonics books, and they are great.
Yesterday, we were in the car, and Aidan asked me how to spell "whoa" as in, "Whoa, that was really fast." I said, "Well, how to you think it's spelled?" He guessed w-o-w. I answered, "Actually, that's wow." "Oh," he said, "then add an e to the end. W-o-w-e." He knows his phonics rule about e making the vowel say it's name! Too bad English isn't that easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment