Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why I should not have been too cheap to buy a new pan...

Last night, we made BBQ chicken on the grill. I decided to make fried potatoes and onions to go with it. I have been needing a new non-stick pan for a looooooong time, but I am too cheap to buy one. Also, I think that the coating is not very healthy - it releases chemicals into the food. So we have been making do with our stainless steel skillet, and it works just fine for most things. If something sticks, I either clean it with vinegar or cook something tomato-y next time. Anyway, I tried to do the potatoes and onions with a little butter in my stainless steel skillet. The potatoes instantly glued themselves to the pan and required constant stirring. Well, stirring is not quite the right word. We had to pry them off the bottom of the pan with a spatula, and then keep doing that constantly. Jordan came in from cooking the chicken to help me with the potatoes so that I could cook the zucchini.

After about 15 minutes, the pan was covered with burned black potatoe starch and burnt onions, and the potatoes were still as hard as rocks.

While Jordan was helping with the potatoes, we forgot about the chicken, and it burnt to a crisp. It tasted *okay*, but the chewiness was what really made it inedible.
Jordan got our our Entertainment Passbook and found coupons for Spring Creek, so we went there. We split two adult dinners, and used the coupon, and only spent $9.89.
Another lesson in humility!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad we're not the only people that use coupons! People always look at us so oddly... oh well!

    ReplyDelete