Saturday, May 10, 2008

Raising little boys is a sanctifying experience...

Today Aidan got on my last nerve. And then he stomped on it.

We were attempting to shop for Mother's Day gifts or cards, whatever we could find. It's fun to shop on Saturday afternoon when everyone else is out, especially since we live in such a congested area with not many shopping options. I'll spare you the details, but by the time we were heading home, I was thinking about dropping off my eldest son at the nearest adoption agency.

When we got home, he knew he was in trouble, but actually cared that he was in trouble, and this is unusual for him. I sent him to clean his room. He came out and said, "Mom, I'm sorry for all the things I did..." This might have been his first unsolicited apology. (He does apologize voluntarily when he accidentally hurts someone, but not for disobedience. He then asked if we could pray and he asked God to forgive him.

Later we were out playing in the yard, and I told him, "I'm glad that you decided to obey and be sweet." He said, "Yes, and I love you."

Parenting is such a sanctifying experience. Aidan knows what buttons to push to bring out my worst attitudes. He has "making Mommy frustrated" on speed dial. Not that my reactions are his fault - it's just that his actions bring out what's really in my heart, and that is a scary experience. Our prayer is that we can model God's grace to him. We all need grace. We are sinners just like he is. Thanks be to God for His mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment