Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What a day...

Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't complain, because I only have two children, and they're not very close in age, and several of my friends lead a much more hectic life with 3 or 4 children.

But... I teach violin lessons out of our house.


Today, we were going to have two lessons from 4:00 - 5:00. We do this every Wednesday. At 4:00, the mom called me to tell me that she was sitting in front of her kids' school, and that they were getting out of choir late, and she had groceries waiting in the car, so they would be very late after running home to unload those. We decided to do just one lesson instead of both.


While I was on the phone, Aidan colored on several piano keys with a pencil. What possesses him to do these things??? I asked him if he thought that he probably shouldn't be doing that, since he looked guilty when I caught him, and he said he had no idea... Don't worry, that didn't get him out of trouble!! Gresham woke up from his nap on the wrong side of the crib, and had been crying and being irrational since waking up. He cried because Aidan was having an applesauce. I offered him a yogurt, since he had applesauce at lunch. He said "unh uh." Then he laid down on the floor and threw a fit. I decided to call the mom back and cancel altogether, since I was having trouble just holding my household together. We both agreed that the kids shouldn't miss their lessons altogether, so we rescheduled for tomorrow. We hung up.

Then, I called her again to say that I forgot that I am going somewhere tomorrow. We rescheduled for this evening. We hung up.


I disciplined Aidan for writing on the piano. I let Gresham feed himself a yogurt (big mess), and then sent the boys out back to play in the sandbox. I told them they could get dirty, and then we would come in and have baths. Aidan took that to mean "get as dirty as we possibly can", and poured a shovel fun of sand/dirt over Gresham's head. It was all in his hair, and down his shirt (a onesie), and in his diaper and pants.


The lesson mom called again, and to make a long story short, we ended up deciding to go ahead and have the lessons in the afternoon. So they arrived, and the boys continued playing outside.

During the lessons, Aidan poured more dirt over Gresham and spread my pile of weeds I had pulled all over the patio and into the kitchen as well (the back door was open.)

So when Jordan arrived home (at 6:30), there was nothing to eat for dinner. I had Gresham stripped down to his diaper, which was filled with sand and poop. It was bunches of fun. I fed the boys scrambled eggs and bagels for dinner. Thankfully Jordan gave them a bath afterwards while I made our dinner (pork tenderloin that came pre-marinated and mashed potatoes). And we finally sat down to eat at 7:45!

While we were eating, Aidan read books to Gresham in his bedroom, showing me that he does actually have a sweet side under all that disobedience and little boy energy!

It's okay. I'll make it up to him when I'm old and move in with him and his family...




2 comments:

  1. Don't you wonder what you did before you had children? I mean, you were probably reading a book with your feet on your ottoman 5 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, things to look forward to. :) Hope you had a better day today!

    ReplyDelete