Thursday, December 6, 2007

Here comes Santa Clause...

After 4 Christmases without Santa, we are having a hard time escaping him this year! Not that Santa is all bad, but Aidan is definitely interested, and wrestling with real vs. imaginary.

Overall, we are not "doing" Santa. I think Santa is fun, but just can't bring myself to make it real for a little boy whose greatest need is to know Jesus, not Santa! So we have presented Santa as a fun story, but nothing more than that. We have emphasized that Christmas is a time to remember Jesus coming to earth as a baby so that He could become our Savior. I have also warned Aidan not to go "preaching" the truth about Santa to all the unsuspecting children he meets at the store, the park, etc. (Remember - Aidan has never met a stranger!!!)

All this had led to lots of interesting conversations! He told me tonight, "Mom! Santa Clause has elders that help him out."
"He has what that help him out?"
"elders."
"Do you mean elves?"
"Yeah, elves!"
"Who told you that?"
"The neighbors."

And another day...
"Mom, the lady at the store asked me if Santa was coming to my house, and I said no. She said she thinks he'll still come and bring me a present."

We were listening to Christmas music on KLTY, and this lady was calling in about keeping the "Christ in Christmas" - Aidan said, "Mom, I didn't know Christmas was all about God!"
I asked him, "What did you think it was about?"
"I thought it was all about presents!"

We still have some work to do, but we've got time!

No comments:

Post a Comment