Wednesday, June 13, 2007

An era is ending...



This weekend, my parents, the boys, and I traveled to New York state to visit my grandparents. It was a last minute decision - we bought the tickets on Friday morning and left on Saturday morning. My grandfather, who is 91, has terminal cancer, and we wanted to get up there so that he could meet Gresham while he was still able to. We had a wonderful visit. Grandpa had a good day on Sunday and was able to visit with all of us, and we saw several family members whom we have not seen for about 3 years.



I love this picture of Gresham and Great Grandma!



My grandparents have lived in this house since 1948 (I think!). They bought the house and also the lot next door for $11,000. At the time, that was a big stretch for them! My dad grew up here, and my kids got a chance to play with the toys he had as a boy and that my brother and I played with when we visited here as children.

I was glad for the opportunity to see Grandpa one last time. It truly feels like an era is ending. There is so much history in this house, but the house will have to be sold soon, and the next time we come, Grandma and Aunt Carolyn will probably be living somewhere else.




We went hiking at Indian Ladder on Monday morning. Aidan had never really been hiking before. We saw rocks and salamanders and waterfalls!



What a beautiful view!




On the way home last night, we got stuck in Washington D.C. If you look closely, you can see the Capitol in this picture! It would have been nice to have been stuck there with a rental car and a free afternoon to explore, but it was evening, the airport was chaos, and we had no idea how long we would be there. Too bad...

Aidan loved the flying experience. He can't wait to do it again. I think we'll stay put for a while, but I'm glad we went!



No comments:

Post a Comment